OFIE T. RUBIN READING TEACHER OF THE YEAR
VSLA-Richmond Area Chapter Guidelines and Application Form
The VSLA-Richmond Area Chapter is pleased to announce that we are collecting nominations for our local chapter’s Reading Teacher of the Year. In addition to the honor of representing the Richmond Chapter in the state’s Reading Teacher of the Year process, the recipient will also receive $500 to use in the classroom to promote literacy. The VSLA-Richmond Area Chapter Reading Teacher of the Year Committee will review all information received, and the selected Reading Teacher of the Year will be submitted to be considered for the VSLA 2020-2021 Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year.
The Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year is selected by the VRLA and honors exemplary literacy instruction in the classroom. Each year, every local chapter nominates one outstanding teacher of reading to compete for the VSLA Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year. The candidate selected as the VSLA Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year will receive a $1000 Professional Development Award at the VSLA conference banquet in 2021.
To nominate an outstanding colleague: Please complete the form located at VSLA_Richmond Area Chapter RTOY
Once the nomination is received, we will ask your colleague to submit additional required materials.
- The candidate must have been a member of RAC in the 2019-2020 school year. If selected as the RAC RTOY, the candidate must be a member in the 2020-2021 school year to be eligible for the VSLA Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year.
- The candidate must teach reading a minimum of one-third of each school day to students in grades K12.
Once nominated, all applicants will be asked to complete the following:
- The candidate’s vita (2 pages) 30 points
- The candidate’s philosophy of reading education (1 page) 20 points
- Proposal for using the $500 RAC award to further literacy instruction (1 page) 30 points
- Two letters of recommendation (principal, supervisor, or colleague) 10 points each (20 points total)
- A digital photo (jpg file) of the candidate
- All RALC nominations must be received by February 12, 2021
- The applicant must submit all supporting materials listed above by April 2, 2021
- All nominees will be recognized at the RAC RTOY celebration on May 6, 2021 (virtual)
Supporting documents should be sent to:
Lisa Signorelli, Reading Teacher of the Year Chairperson